Winged Monkey

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 13:02:05 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 07:26:30AM +0100, Martin Povolny wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 05:49:35PM -0400, Hugh Brock wrote:
> > This doesn't mean PaaS isn't useful, far far from it. But I think there
> > are always going to be people who want root on all their VMs, and those
> > people are going to want a solid management tool that makes managing
> > them easy across platforms. This is what we're banking on with Winged
> > Monkey.
>
> I am trying to see the above scenario in term of personae. How would it be?
>
> Bob the administrator who wants a root an all his VMs is going to want a
> solid management tool?
>
> I doubt Bob would like a web app. I would bet on Bob wanting a CLI tool.
>
> And then the same Bob would want a tool for Andy the programmer from the
> development team to run the machines Bob prepared? Andy would be using
> Winged Monkey?
>
> Can you please help me understand where in the above scenario fit the
> tools we have or would like to have?
>
> Thanks and regards

I don't have to tell you; I can *show* you.

Have a look at linode.com. Here I have a very nice GUI that shows me
status of all my VMs. It shows me disk partitions, IP addresses, network
configuration, sizing -- everything I need to know about the
machine. Also nice historic graphs of disk IO, network IO, swap, etc.

I also get root on all those machines.

This, really, is all I want from Winged Monkey -- I want the linode.com
UI, but I want it to be portable across clouds. It seems fairly obvious
to me.

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey