Winged Monkey

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 21:49:35 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 05:37:48PM -0400, Greg Blomquist wrote:
> Thanks for following along, Eric!

Yeah I just want to reinforce what Greg said here.

I think (based on my own recent personal experience with this) that it
will be a long time before most people are willing to hand over the keys
to their production apps to the extent you have to do with a PaaS
solution. I'm talking about tight control over software versions,
network configuration, instance sizing, and so on -- all stuff you take
for granted with IaaS, but that PaaS deliberately obscures from you.

This doesn't mean PaaS isn't useful, far far from it. But I think there
are always going to be people who want root on all their VMs, and those
people are going to want a solid management tool that makes managing
them easy across platforms. This is what we're banking on with Winged
Monkey.

Take care,
--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey