Winged Monkey

Greg Blomquist gblomqui at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 21:37:48 UTC 2012

Thanks for following along, Eric!

----- Original Message -----

This drives to the heart of the distinction between IaaS and PaaS.

In the long term (and maybe for certain user classes), this distinction
may become completely blurred.

However, for the near term (3 years? 5 years? longer?) the distinction is
still visible.  With PaaS, a consumer is getting a pre-packaged platform
environment where they can run their specific application (rails, django,
whatever).  The tradeoff is the amount of control the consumer will have
with the environment they are allotted.

With IaaS, the consumer requests a set of resources based on some
specification, and will generally have larger control over those resources
than allowed under PaaS.

So, whereas OpenShift will supply a user with an environment to run a
Django app, Winged Monkey will supply a user with a resource for testing
out installing and configuring Django from scratch.

Hope that helps.  Lemme know if that doesn't really clear it up.

---
 Greg