Winged Monkey

Greg Blomquist gblomqui at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 13:31:00 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

<snip>

> Hey Greg,
>
> Thanks for sending this out. Sound promising.
>
> Some comments:
>
> 1)
> Reading through your user stories it's not clear to me how
> resources WM will use are to be generated. How are application
> blueprints and images to be created?
>
> I understand that pre-canned images are available on EC2 but
> what about support for less popular back ends? Isn't something
> needed to help users populate images and create application
> blueprints?
>
> A repository of application blueprints and images perhaps?

Right.  We're currently working under the assumption that this
stuff just "exists".

The biggest implication here is that someone else has taken care
of that type of administration out of band.

Keep in mind, the main focus for us right now is the
non-technical user.  This could be the guy that really doesn't
understand what a hypervisor is.  Or, the different between an
image and an instance.

So, we're definitely taking for granted several things that may
not entirely exist yet, but that definitely _could_ exist with
very little effort (say, for instance, a catalog of application
blueprints provided as a service).

> 2)
> Is DeltaCloud going to be used to access all supported back ends?
> I think it would be valuable to use a common API provider like DC
> and add DC drivers where needed or perhaps CIMI, which DC
> supports.

We're not settling on one API yet.

> 3)
> I think Matt Wagner makes some good points. It seems to me that
> that WM is sort of like Conductor-Lite. Perhaps it might be valuable
> to explore providing a pared-down Conductor that provides the user
> experience you envision for WM.

Right.  See my response.  Lemme know if that doesn't help clarify the
position there.

In short, I think Matt's made some excellent points.  In fact, we may
even end up exactly that incarnation.  In the meantime, we're
exploring some user experience ideas outside of the context of
anything else.

> If I'm off in left field on any of these let me know.

Nope, not at all.  These are honestly all questions I've been
thinking about, too.