Aeolus GSoC

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 19:54:37 UTC 2012

Hi Mo,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 02:15:04PM -0400, Mo Morsi wrote:
> Fedora was accepted as one of the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) projects
> and I submitted a proposal to extend Aeolus support on Fedora [1] a few
> weeks back. We've gotten some interest in the project, and I've been
> helping various students install and get antiquated w/ the framework so
> that they can submit proposals of their own to work on some aspect of
> the project.
>
> Here is one of those [2] that Samridh (cc'd, student attending P.E.S.
> institute of tech in Bangalore, India ) is working on, and I'm sending
> it around for comments and thoughts. Will reply to this thread with
> updates and more proposals as time goes on.
>
> If anyone wants to expand upon my proposal with more specific items to
> work on and/or co-mentor it with me just shout out and we can make the
> necessary arrangements.
>
>   -Mo
>
> [1]
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012#Bringing_the_Cloud_to_the_Fedora_Desktop
>
> [2]
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSOC_2012/Student_Application_Samridh90/Bringing_the_Cloud_to_the_Fedora_Desktop

I think this is great! It sounds like a good opportunity.

The proposed tasks look great, though I worry that things may take
longer than forecast. (I would love to be wrong, though.) It just sounds
like a GTK interface + usage monitoring and visualization + Snap
functionality could be a very large undertaking, and in some cases it
relies on things that are still emerging. (For example, we don't really
have an effective means of getting statistics from instances right now,
and I suspect getting Matahari[1] integrated might be a prerequisite to
being able to report on usage.) I'm all for aiming high; I just don't
want anyone to be penalized for optimistic estimates. Content-wise, I
think it's a terrific list.

-- Matt

[1] http://matahariproject.org/