Simple GIT patch review tracker by mfojtik

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 15:58:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:54:30AM -0400, Matt Wagner wrote:
> I think that, ideally, this tool should be semi-transparent, though --
> you send a patch to the list (or submit a pull request) and it shows up
> there, and you ACK or NACK a patch (or merge/close a pull request) and
> the item in this app gets closed out automagically. That would be pretty
> nifty. We'd still want to use it to track who was reviewing things, but
> if someone messed up it would keep things from getting totally out of
> sync.

This reminds me of something semi-tangential, but that kind of fits into
the overall workflow.

Some teams have apparently had luck writing up scripts that will see a
new pull request, check out the branch, run the test suite against it,
and comment on the results. Thus all patches are automatically tested,
so nothing slips by, and developers don't have to spend 20 minutes
waiting for a script to run.

It occurs to me that the only reason we couldn't do that with mailing
list patches as well is that it would be a lot more work to detect new
patches on-list, group them as one set, and push them somewhere. It
seems like this tool would already do most of that heavy lifting for us,
so all we'd have to do is watch for new patches in the app, create a
throwaway branch, and send it off to Travis or somewhere.

Obviously there's a good bit of work involved in making this happen, and
this is kind of a pie-in-the-sky idea right now. But I think Michal's
app could make it a little bit easier, and we could integrate with this
to show test results in the app.