Simple GIT patch review tracker by mfojtik

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 14:54:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 09:51:39AM -0400, Jason Guiditta wrote:
> On 14/08/12 09:48 +0200, Petr Blaho wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I noticed that mfojtik created simple tool to track review process of patches.
> >
> >You can find it at https://github.com/mifo/tracker
> >
> >It is Sinatra app with CLI tool. More info in README at ^.
> >
> >What do you think? Can we use tool like this to enhance our review process?
> >
> >--
> >
> >With regards
> >Petr Blaho
>
> Personally, I like that idea for keeping track of who is reviewing
> what patch, and if it has been acked.  My only concern is that we then
> would have an extra place to check/keep up with for the patch process.
> With the recent addition of accepting pull requests, I am a bit
> concerned how this would go, unless we decided something like 'all
> core contributors agree to send patches to list and use the tracker
> app'.

Another idea that might be interesting would be to try to work pull
request support into the app -- list pull requests and patches in the
same tool. Then, rather than having two ways of doing things and then a
third tool to track one of the two ways, we'd have one tool to rule them
all.

I think that, ideally, this tool should be semi-transparent, though --
you send a patch to the list (or submit a pull request) and it shows up
there, and you ACK or NACK a patch (or merge/close a pull request) and
the item in this app gets closed out automagically. That would be pretty
nifty. We'd still want to use it to track who was reviewing things, but
if someone messed up it would keep things from getting totally out of
sync.