Tool to set up development environment / VMs?

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Wed Aug 8 13:11:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 02:13:48PM -0700, Crag Wolfe wrote:
> On 08/07/2012 08:33 AM, Jason Guiditta wrote:

> >>We used to use appliance-creator [1] to create software-appliances for a
> >>bunch of projects but this entailed additional resources during release
> >>cycles and thus often would get bumped down in priority / dropped.
> >>
> >>That being said, I'm all for this. Think pre-built appliances containing
> >>the latest versions of the application suite and/or the rake tasks would
> >>be useful.
> >>
> >>-Mo
> >>
> >>[1] http://thincrust.net/
> >
> >I'll reply in more depth later today, but for those wishing to develop
> >in a vm (which not everyone will want to do, plus you cant really do
> >it for factory very well, unless you do all snapshot builds, which is
> >a possibility), I woudl think the thing we should do here is use our
> >own tooling and build a vm with a tdl, and have oz generate the vm for
> >us. I had a cut of this already some time back, and it worked pretty
> >well, though I never got around to additional scripting, which would
> >ease setup even more.
> >
> >-j
>
> FWIW, I have been working on *Conductor* centric scripts here:
> https://gist.github.com/3178181 which came out of the effort to
> write
> https://github.com/aeolusproject/conductor/commits/master/README.md .
>
> So, if you have a fresh FC16, FC17, or RHEL63+ machine, you can run
> conductor-dev-root-prep.sh (as a superuser) followed by
> conductor-dev-setup.sh (as a plain old user).  This sets up
> Conductor for development the Bundler way.  They do *not* set up
> image factory or deltacloud, but it would be nice if they did that
> too.  I think ideally, in the current developing-with-bundler case,
> imagefactory and deltacloud should also be built/installed locally
> (upstream or stable?), so perhaps there could be a flag in
> conductor-dev-setup.sh that does that.
>
> Note, conductor-dev-setup.sh is meant to be
> unix/linux/macosx-agnostic whereas currently
> conductor-dev-root-prep.sh assumes FC16/FC17/RHEL6.3+.

This is excellent Crag. Can you work with Dave and Ronelle to keep
building this out so that they can test upstream for real?

I'm perfectly happy to have Factory and Deltacloud install from
packages in the "I want to test conductor" case, if that makes things
easier. I just want to make sure Conductor itself can be easily and
repeatably installed and configured from source.

Thanks,
--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey