Tool to set up development environment / VMs?

Crag Wolfe cwolfe at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 21:13:48 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 08:33 AM, Jason Guiditta wrote:
> On 07/08/12 11:21 -0400, Mo Morsi wrote:
>> On 08/07/2012 10:23 AM, Jiří Stránský wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> how do you prepare your development VMs? I've been talking with Mike
>>> yesterday about a possibility of making a tool similar to
>>> aeolus-configure, but for developers. Something to set up development
>>> environment easily. Would anything like this be wanted?
>>>
>>> I was thinking something a bit more rake-style with the whole setup
>>> thing decomposed into tasks. You could run a default scenario task
>>> with the whole stack getting set up or just pick something like `rake
>>> firewall:open_for_conductor` or `rake imagefactory:oauth` etc.
>>>
>>> Then today I saw Maros's kickstart-based solution [1] and I thought
>>> something similar would be even nicer when doing dev env setup on a
>>> VM, because it also takes care of OS installation.
>>>
>>> Mike and Jay also suggested such a tool could be useful for QE, so I
>>> would be pleased to see Dave's and Ronelle's opinions as well.
>>>
>>> So I'm looking for ideas/feedback/anything related to this. First,
>>> whether such thing would be wanted at all, and if so, any suggestions
>>> and ideas how should the tool work.
>>>
>>> I imagine the tool could be useful to contributors outside of Red Hat,
>>> who don't have Aeolus experts sitting in the same office to ask them
>>> about stuff ;)
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Jirka
>>>
>>> [1]: https://github.com/hacxman/spawnvm
>>

>> We used to use appliance-creator [1] to create software-appliances for a
>> bunch of projects but this entailed additional resources during release
>> cycles and thus often would get bumped down in priority / dropped.
>>
>> That being said, I'm all for this. Think pre-built appliances containing
>> the latest versions of the application suite and/or the rake tasks would
>> be useful.
>>
>> -Mo
>>
>> [1] http://thincrust.net/
>
> I'll reply in more depth later today, but for those wishing to develop
> in a vm (which not everyone will want to do, plus you cant really do
> it for factory very well, unless you do all snapshot builds, which is
> a possibility), I woudl think the thing we should do here is use our
> own tooling and build a vm with a tdl, and have oz generate the vm for
> us. I had a cut of this already some time back, and it worked pretty
> well, though I never got around to additional scripting, which would
> ease setup even more.
>
> -j

FWIW, I have been working on *Conductor* centric scripts here:
https://gist.github.com/3178181 which came out of the effort to write
https://github.com/aeolusproject/conductor/commits/master/README.md .

So, if you have a fresh FC16, FC17, or RHEL63+ machine, you can run
conductor-dev-root-prep.sh (as a superuser) followed by
conductor-dev-setup.sh (as a plain old user).  This sets up Conductor
for development the Bundler way.  They do *not* set up image factory or
deltacloud, but it would be nice if they did that too.  I think ideally,
in the current developing-with-bundler case, imagefactory and deltacloud
should also be built/installed locally (upstream or stable?), so perhaps
there could be a flag in conductor-dev-setup.sh that does that.

Note, conductor-dev-setup.sh is meant to be unix/linux/macosx-agnostic
whereas currently conductor-dev-root-prep.sh assumes FC16/FC17/RHEL6.3+.

--Crag