Bundler, aeolus-image gem from rubygems.org

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 13:37:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:11:07AM +0200, Jiří Stránský wrote:
> Hi,
>
> right now the latest aeolus-image gem on rubygems.org is 0.4, which
> is a bit out of date and doesn't work fully with current Conductor
> from master. This forced me to abandon "the Bundler way" and develop
> with system gems.
>
> I want to ask -- should/will we support Bundler development
> environment setup?

This is an area where we're evolving. In the past it's something we've
neglected, but over the past month or so Jason has led an effort to get
this working, and we've realized that it should really be our primary
means of development, with Fedora packaging a secondary goal.

> I know our primary focus is compatibility with packaged gems, but I
> think Bundler is nice for quick tinkering with dependencies without
> actually touching system setup and might come in handy in some
> situations. What do you guys think?

We're starting to shift towards using Bundler for new development.
Using something like rvm (if you're not already) can make your life with
Bundler much less miserable.

The app now runs just fine using gems from Bundler. (At least with Ruby
1.8, I'm not positive about the state of 1.9.) The only remaining thing
is that we don't yet have 100% of tests passing on a pure-Bundler setup,
though we're getting fairly close.