Debian Preseed support for Image Factory

Chris Lalancette clalancette at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:43:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 24/04/2012, at 7:48 PM, Romain Vrignaud wrote:
> <snip>
>> If there is a willing of Aeolus community to work with other distro and that there is a 'plugin way' to support
>> other unattended mechanism, I would be pleased to look at a possible preseed support for Factory.
>
> We are *definitely* willing/open to working with other distro's.  We've only
> started with rpm based ones because had to start somewhere, and that's what
> we know best. :)
>
> Chris, for the bit you mention about transforming disk images into backend
> provider formats (ie EC2, RHEV, vSphere, etc)... where should a person start?

This would be in the imagefactory.  I haven't really been keeping an
eye on the factory, but a good place to start would be too look at
Fedora_ec2_builder.py in that source code.  Ian will know better.

> Also, on that thought... with live building in EC2 via JEOS, does that mean
> there someone needs to find appropriate Debian JEOS's too?
>
>> I think that an abstraction mechanism would be a real benefit for the project in order to be able to
>> support the building of as many distro as there are unattended installation mechanism.
>
> Chris might be the right person to discuss that bit with, as I *think* that
> would be in the Oz part of things.

Yeah, this is the bit that already exists in Oz.  Oz can currently use
preseed (Debian, Ubuntu), kickstart (RHEL, Fedora), drakx (Mandrake),
and some Windows-based unattended installation methods.  It is the
"abstraction layer", so I think we have at least that bit of it
covered :).

Chris