RFC: All provider config to reside in Conductor

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 15:20:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 11:11:38AM -0400, Scott Seago wrote:
> On 04/03/2012 11:06 AM, Matt Wagner wrote:
> >>
> >Doesn't mounting an NFS filesystem require root?
> Oh good point. Hmm. Back to the drawing board here. So how else can
> we handle the NFS mount issue while still, for the most part,
> allowing new providers to be added completely via the UI? Or does
> this just make the whole concept fall apart here, since none of our
> services should be running as root after config-time?

We might be able to do something fancy with granting access to mount
filesystems via sudo (if SELinux doesn't provide something more
specific), but that makes me cringe.

It's not the best experience, but what if we just displayed a "We did
the setup, but now you need to mount the export share! You'll probably
want to run this command: ..." message? That seems less-crazy than
allowing a web application to mount filesystems. I wonder if this will
also (partially) cut down on the amount of provider-specific knowledge
we need -- your ProviderType records could specify what needs to happen,
but and have a post_complete_message field that gets displayed or
something along those lines.