[vdsm] mom RPMs for 3.4

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 07:50:12 UTC 2014

Il 01/02/2014 23:48, Dan Kenigsberg ha scritto:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 04:56:12PM -0500, Adam Litke wrote:

>>> mom 0.4.0 has been built in last night nightly job [1] and published to nightly by publisher job [2]
>>> so it's already available on nightly [3]
>>>
>>> For 3.4.0, it has been planned [4] a beta 2 release on 2014-02-06 so we'll include your builds in that release.
>>
>> I presume the scripting for 3.4 release rpms will produce a version
>> without the git-rev based suffix: ie. mom-0.4.0-1.rpm?
>>
>> I need to figure out how to handle a problem that might be a bit
>> unique to mom.  MOM is used by non-oVirt users who install it from the
>> main Fedora repository.  I think it's fine that we are producing our
>> own rpms in oVirt (that may have additional patches applied and may
>> resync to upstream mom code more frequently than would be desired for
>> the main Fedora repository).  Given this, I think it makes sense to
>> tag the oVirt RPMs with a special version suffix to indicate that
>> these are oVirt produced and not upstream Fedora.
>>
>> For example:
>> The next Fedora update will be mom-0.4.0-1.f20.rpm.
>> The next oVirt update will be mom-0.4.0-1ovirt.f20.rpm.
>>
>> Is this the best practice for accomplishing my goals?  One other thing
>> I'd like to have the option of doing is to make vdsm depend on an
>> ovirt distribution of mom so that the upstream Fedora version will not
>> satisfy the dependency for vdsm.
>
> What is the motivation for this? You would not like to bother Fedora
> users with updates that are required only for oVirt?
>
> Vdsm itself is built, signed, and distributed via Fedora.
> It is also copied into the ovirt repo, for completeness sake. Could MoM
> do the same?

IMHO, if we're distributing mom and vdsm rpms through Fedora yum repository we should not duplicate it on ovirt yum repository.
Fedora package is signed and will differ from the one we're shipping within ovirt repo (which is unsigned)
We should provide on resource.ovirt.org only packages not available on "downstream" repositories (like nightly builds).

--
Sandro Bonazzola
See how it works at redhat.com