[vdsm] Help Needed

Darshan Narayana Murthy dnarayan at redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 05:51:27 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Kenigsberg" <danken at redhat.com>
To: "Darshan Narayana Murthy" <dnarayan at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, April 7, 2014 4:53:30 PM
Subject: Re: Help Needed

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 06:52:36AM -0400, Darshan Narayana Murthy wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
>    I sent a patch for vdsm to get the gluster volume  capacity
> statistics using libgf api ( patch : http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/26343 ),
> This patch requires glusterfs-devel package for build.
>
>    It looks like jenkins does not have this package and so the build
> for this patch is failing. Does jenkins automatically pull the required
> package or is there anything to be done to get this package in jenkins ?.
>
> Can you please help me to resolve this.

Generally speaking, if you want a new package installed, you should ask
that on infra at ovirt.org.

However, I am not at all happy with adding C code into Vdsm. What is it?
Python binding for glfs_statvfs ? Could this be implemented elsewhere
(such as an independent python-glfs package)?

Dan.

Hi,

   We are making use of libgf-api for getting the statistics related
to a glusterfs volume, as it is more efficient than we mounting a volume
and getting the statistics.

   libgfapi is a c api. Initially we tried using ctypes to wrap the
required functions in libgfapi. But because of a limitation in glusterfs
when these functions were invoked through supervdsm it would break.

   So we thought of having an extension module that makes use of libgfapi
and provides the statistics, which can be used in vdsm.

   what would be the better approach to resolve this ? Please provide us
your suggestions.

Thanks,
Darshan N