[vdsm] Storage location of the 'recover' files

Vinzenz Feenstra vfeenstr at redhat.com
Fri Aug 16 09:54:17 UTC 2013

Hi,

We have had some verbal discussion about the restore state files and we
came to the conclusion that it might be a good idea, if we could have
the configuration we're saving pickled in the restore files within the
Domain XML itself.

The point is, that we're currently having kind of a potential problem
(can be found in vm.py all over the place in comments) that the recover
file and the actual configuration of the VM in the Domain XML might differ.

The idea is that we could utilize the metatag introduced in before
libvirt 0.10 to store our current configuration embedded in the
DomainXML in libvirt.
When we're recovering we can get the configuration from there.
Additionally we would be able to update the domain xml and the current
configuration at the same time and we'd have a more consistent state.

This is just an idea and I am curious what you guys are thinking about it.

Let me know, thanks

--
Regards,

Vinzenz Feenstra | Senior Software Engineer
RedHat Engineering Virtualization R & D
Phone: +420 532 294 625
IRC: vfeenstr or evilissimo

See how it works at redhat.com