[vdsm] Getting information about a disk image through the VDSM API

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Nov 25 10:44:50 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> Hi All,
>

> I’m looking into adding a capability in oVirt to register a disk that
> has been cloned using NetApp cloning utilities. Right now, I see
> that once the disk images have been cloned to new UUIDs for the disk
> image directory and the underlying disk image files, the new disk
> image UUID will be seen by VDSM through the “getImagesList” command.
> At this point, if possible, I’d like to get the rest of the
> information that’s on the file system so I can reconstruct the disk
> information in the oVirt DB through the VDSM API.
>

> Is this approach the best way to go or is it even possible to do
> this? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!

What other information are you looking for to get from the storage?

In your case iiuc what you want to do is clone an existing *VM*, is that correct? i.e. clone disks on storage side and the VM configuration (virtual hardware, networks, etc) in oVirt?

If so, perhaps it's worth it to take a look at how clone vm from snapshot works today.  You could do something similar but instead of cloning the disks, just assigning the already cloned disks to the new VM and verify that the disks are indeed accessible.