[vdsm] [RFC] ipv6 support of vdsm

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 22:59:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 10:35:23PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:25:19PM +0200, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 06:58:09PM +0800, huntxu wrote:
> > > Hi, folks.
> > >
> > > Recently I am considering to implement ipv6 support for vdsm. First
> > > of all I
> > > would like to know whether there is already someone working on this
> > > feature.
> >
> > I am not aware of anyone working on ipv6 at the momemnt. You are more
> > than welcome to lead the way!
> >
> > > If so, I might do something to help, however, if not, I would try to
> > > implement
> > > it with suggestions from this discussion.
> > >
> > > With ipv6 support vdsm is supposed to work properly in:
> > >     * mixed environment, in which ipv4 and ipv6 addresses coexist
> > >     * ipv6-pure environment
> > >
> > > My idea is:
> > >
> > > 1) Provide a mechanism to setup ipv6 address configuration of a host via
> > > XMLRPC/RestAPI. This would be done in the current ConfigNetwork module by
> > > modifying the network-scripts/ifcfg-* of the devices. Thus the host is
> > > able to access ipv6 network (with correct configuration).
> >
> > Host network configuration is an important part. We would have to report
> > ipv6 addresses, too.
> >
> > Please keep in mind, that we would like to move away from direct ifcfg
> > mangaling since it's distribution-dependent, and not even the common
> > practice in modern Fedoras. (sob)
>
> I'd love to see VDSM start to make use of libvirt's network interface
> APIs, since we added all that support for making transaction config
> changes for the benefit of VDSM :-)  It of course supports IPv6
> configuration already, and would get you portability to Debian, Suse
> and soon BSD via NetCF.

Yeah, we are shamefully behind schedule here.. I hope Mark Wu is going
to step up our pace (http://gerrit.ovirt.org/8618).

Dan, this may be a good opportunity to raise my concerns about netcf's
ifcfg-based implementation. How is NetCF going to interoperate with the
rise to fame of NetworkManager an systemd? If I recall correctly,
/etc/init.d/network, which is responsible of ifup'ing ifcfgs, is not
even started by default on F17+. Due you have plans for a bleak future
where ifcfg's are frowned upon?

Dan.