[vdsm] [VDSM][RFC]Switch of VDSM tarball compression format: tar.xz only

Sheldon shaohef at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Nov 5 07:31:23 UTC 2012

Hi, ALL.

I have submitted a patchhttp://gerrit.ovirt.org/4174
it is about "make compression type configurable, support gzip and xz"

As I mentioned in message that vdsm require "xz" for logrotate.
So I think there is no need to support two kinds of compression format: xz and gzip.

I have get some comments on this patch.

It seems xz is better.
XZ utils supports multi threading, and the compression ratio is better than gzip.
And it is supports many platforms (seehttp://tukaani.org/xz/  , look for Supported platforms).

Since xz gets higher compression efficiency and the logrotate has already required "xz"
So how about to abandon gzip, only use xz?

--
Sheldon Feng(冯少合)<shaohef at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center