[vdsm] VDSM API/clientIF instance design issue

Mark Wu wudxw at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed May 30 14:49:29 UTC 2012

Hi Guys,

Recently,  I has been working on integrate MOM into VDSM.  MOM needs to
use VDSM API to interact with it.  But currently, it requires the
instance of clientIF to use vdsm API.  Passing clientIF to MOM is not a
good choice since it's a vdsm internal object.  So I try to remove the
parameter 'cif' from the interface definition and change to access the
globally unique  clientIF instance in API.py.

To get the instance of clientIF,  I add a decorator to clientIF to
change it into singleton. Actually, clientIF has been working as a
global single instance already.  We just don't have an interface to get
it and so passing it as parameter instead.  I think using singleton to
get the instance of clientIF is more clean.

Dan and Saggi already gave some comments in
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#change,4839  Thanks for the reviewing!  But I
think we need more discussion on it,  so I post it here because gerrit
is not the appropriate to discuss a design issue.

Thanks !
Mark.