[SSSD-users] Attempting to Get sssd to Work With Samba 4.3 Active Directory

Scott Harvey` sbharvey at verizon.net
Tue Jan 6 05:26:34 UTC 2015

On 1/5/2015 3:19 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:

> Hi, your sssd.conf shows that your domain name is
> 'netserver02.harvey.net' and RSAT shows the NIS domain to be 'harvey',
> so could 'netserver02' be the hostname of the machine and 'harvey.net'
> is the domain name ?
>
> Could you please also post your smb.conf
>
> Rowland

Thank you for getting back.
The NIS name cannot be changed in Active Directory at least not in the menu.
It seems I remember reading the the nis name should be domain name not
harvey.net.

Contents of smb.conf:
# Global parameters
[global]
     workgroup = HARVEY
     realm = HARVEY.NET
     netbios name = NETSERVER02
     server string = Samba PDC Harvey House
     dns forwarder = 192.168.1.1
     #
     allow dns updates = nonsecure
     server services = +dns, +dnsupdate
     #
     idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
     #
# From
#https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Integration
#
#    encrypt passwords = yes
#    password server = netserver02.harvey.net
     #
#    idmap config * : backend = rid
#    idmap config * : range = 10000-20000
         #
#    winbind use default domain = Yes
#    winbind enum users = Yes
#    winbind enum groups = Yes
#    winbind nested groups = Yes
#    winbind separator = +
#    winbind refresh tickets = yes
     #
     template shell = /bin/bash
     template homedir = /home/%D/%U
     #
     #preferred master = no
     #dns proxy = no
     #wins server = netserver02.harvey.net
         #wins proxy = no
     #
     #inherit acls = Yes
     #map acl inherit = Yes
     #acl group control = yes
     #
# End From
#
     #acl map full control = True
     #acl group control = yes
     #
     # Controlling Access Control list, the way windows does
     #  For member domain controllers only
     #
     #vfs objects = acl_xattr
     #map acl inherit = Yes
     #store dos attributes = Yes
     #
     #
     # this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
     # that connects
     #log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
     # Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
     #
     log level = 3
     max log size = 1000
         log file = /var/samba/log/%m.log
         #
     hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/26 192.168.1.64/26 192.168.1.128/26 127.0.0.1
     hosts deny  = 0.0.0.0/0
     # Note this will have to remain because authentication
         # does not work with sssd yet service principle not recgonice etc..
         # this seems to work for a semi manual approach for synchronize
password
         # with the local account on this server
     unix password sync = Yes
# passwd chat etc.. does not seem to be needed in this setup This server
is the Active directory it's not
#clear what is making it work sssd is not requied
# it function I have cycled smamb4 service off/on to make sure it's the
setttings have been updated
#    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
#    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
     #
[netlogon]
     path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/harvey.net/scripts
     read only = No

[sysvol]
     read only = No