[SSSD-users] AutoFS and variables

Brendan Kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:11:17 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 21:27 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 02:14 -0500, Dmitri Pal wrote:

> > > i just did some reading through man pages and i find no limitations or
> > > constraints around the use of variables in direct mappings.  can you
> > > provide the documentation source you are working from?  i want to read
> > > through it and better understand the logic about what can and cant be
> > > done when using direct vs indirect mappings.
>
> Linux autofs has never allowed the use of macros in map keys, accept it,
> that's the way it is.
>
> I must admit that I never investigated using macros in the Solaris
> automounter because I never needed them but I doubt you would be able to
> use them with it either. If you can then I'd reconsider my position on
> maybe trying to add it to autofs.
>
> The man pages might need to be updated to make it clear that using
> macros in Sun format map keys isn't supported and is only possible in
> the mount location field of map entries.
>
> Clearly direct mounts can't possibly support macros based on what I said
> before. I wrote the user space direct mount implementation and did the
> kernel space development for it as well, so believe me when I say this
> is the way it is. Note well I spent a lot of time deciding how to
> implement direct mounts and finally realized the only sensible way to do
> it is the way I've done it. That's probably why the Solaris automounter
> does it in a similar way too.
>
> It may be possible to implement it for indirect map keys but the problem
> of possible queued mount requests I described earlier makes it a
> potential support problem so it's not going to change. Special case code
> to exclude keys that include macros when the browse option is given
> would be difficult as well.
>
> The reference I use is the autofs source git repository at:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/storage/autofs/autofs
>
> The bottom line is if it is supported by the Solaris automounter I'll
> consider thinking about how it might be done, otherwise it isn't going
> to happen.
>
> Not only that I think what you require is possible with the current
> autofs implementation but you'll need to change your map configuration
> quite a bit
>
> Ian

you seem a bit agitated or defensive about me asking for documentation,
and only point me to git for a code checkout or whatever.  you have not
provided me with any documentation.  and i dont read code.  i'm not a
developer, dont expect it of me.

you tell me to accept that what i am looking for is not available, as if
i made demands that i must get what i want.  i never said i would not
accept things as they are.  in fact, i want documentation around the use
of direct vs indirect mappings so i can better implement things in my
environment, using what functionality is available.

again, can i get some documentation?