[SSSD-users] autofs will not find auto.master in LDAP

Brendan Kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 01:38:11 UTC 2015

On 08/14/2015 08:59 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 08:26:57AM -0400, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>> On 08/14/2015 08:24 AM, brendan kearney wrote:
>>> I am using rsyslog RELP (reliable event log processing) to steal away
>>> logs over syslog-tcp with fifo buffer to store them in a central
>>> database, so journalctl is the only local log on the box.  The
>>> /var/log/sssd/* files are mostly empty.  The only info in there is
>>> about an explicit kerberos setting not being set and having to use a
>>> different directives value for kerberos.
>>>
>>> Either way, the logs dont have much to go on.
>>>
>> You need to raise debug level for the logs to have more info.
> Right, the default log level is 0. See:
>      https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Troubleshooting
>
> btw sssd doesn't use syslog or journal by default to write the debug
> logs. We simply open the files and fwrite() to them, so even though your
> log config forwards syslog messages, the sssd log directory should
> contain files once you raise the debug_level.
you were correct.  the log files were populated with output.

i found a ldap query in the logs, and ran it manually.  it came back
with 4 auto.master entries.  there is one that would have been found
with a "base" search, and 3 additional auto.masters that were found
because the search was done as "sub".

i am experimenting with different autofs mounts for servers,
workstations and other device types, hence the other auto.master entries
in child OUs.  this testing was leading me to another question, which
i'll ask in a bit.  to finish this out, i moved the testing autofs
pieces from cn=autofs to cn=autofs-test and will keep the separation in
place, as that seems to have fixed my issue.  does a directive exist to
tell the search to be "base", "one" or "sub"?

the new question i have is around variable expansion.  it seems that i
am missing something about how to do it right.  when i attempt to use
$USER, say in /home/$USER, with a mountpoint of Music under it, the
literal path /home/$USER is created.  i have tried /home/$USER, /home
${USER} and /home /{$USER} and in each case, the literal path was
created on disk.  the variable expansion do not occur and
/home/<my_user_id>/Music was not automounted as per the autofs directives.

how do i get variable expansion to work when using SSSD?