[SSSD-users] root login with domain passwd

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 17:41:47 UTC 2014

On 09/25/2014 01:19 PM, Nordgren, Bryce L -FS wrote:
> A novel approach used in rocks clusters is to manage ssh keys for all users including root. Clearly this isn't a solution which allows you to login from anywhere to anywhere (their architecture is that one logs into a headnode, then from there you log into the compute node of your choice.) It also manages users by sync-ing /etc/passwd + shadow across the cluster, giving central management of local accounts.
>
> That said, "syncing things" really isn't sssd's job. There's other tools designed to do that.

Wouldn't using constrained delegation (s4u2proxy) + HBAC would be a
better solution for this use case?
Then you do not need to manage SSH keys. You would need to define which
hosts are allowed to be "gateways" and make sure it is complemented by
corresponding HBAC policies.

IdM allows to do it now and latest Fedora/RHEL/CentOS should be able to
do it now.
IdM does not expose the management of the delegation yet (but it can be
done using LDAP modify, ugly but possible) but this is being added in 4.1.