[SSSD-users] 1.11.5 ddns failure on Ubuntu 14.04 [SOLVED]

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu May 22 13:05:05 UTC 2014

On 22/05/14 14:50, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 22 May 2014, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
>> Not on Ubuntu it isn't ;-)
>
> I'd argue that Ubuntu just has incorrect behaviour then.
>
> If you look at man hosts on an ubuntu machine (13.10), you'll see how they
> describe it, and the example they provide.  The format described is:
>
> IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]
>
> The example is:
>
> 127.0.0.1     localhost
> 192.168.1.10  foo.mydomain.org    foo
> 192.168.1.13  bar.mydomain.org    bar
>
> That's the correct format, whether or not Ubuntu applies it.
>
> That said, the only machine I have with ubuntu defined a hosts file with:
>
> 127.0.1.1     short-ubuntu-13.10  short-ubuntu-13
>
> That, in a slightly unpleasant way, follows the way I'd do it.
>
> jh

How do you send the fqdn with dhcp then?

we have:
127.0.0.1 fqdn hostname localhost

and /etc/hostname has fqdn only
Putting _anything_ else in /etc/hostname gives 'can't resolve' errors:
sudo: imposible resolver el anfitriĆ³n lubuntu-laptop.hh3.site
lubuntu-laptop
(Spanish: 'impossible to resolve host resolve host fqdn hostname'

That is with:
/etc/hostname containing:
fqdn
hostname