[SSSD-users] Get error "Incorrect Password" when su to a ldap user with password prompt

Lukas Slebodnik lslebodn at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 17:33:06 UTC 2014

On (28/06/14 00:03), XuQing Tan wrote:
>Hi folks
>
>i setup sssd 1.9.2 on centos 6 x64
>i can get the user info via 'id <user>'
>i can su to that user as root (no password prompt since i'm root)
>
>[root at nick-ldap ~]# su - nick
>-sh-4.1$ exit
>logout

root can swith to another user without any prompting password.
   (pam_sss was not involved)
It is default behaviour.
I am not pam expert, but it should be caused by next line in /etc/pam.d/su

account         sufficient      pam_succeed_if.so uid = 0 use_uid quiet

>but i can't su to this user as non-root (with password prompt but get
>incorrect password error)
>[root at nick-ldap ~]# su - demo
>[demo at nick-ldap ~]$ su - nick
>Password:
>su: incorrect password
There are two explanation:
    a) you used wrong password.
    b) there is some problem with sssd configuration.

In second case, put "debug_level = 7" into pam and domain section in sssd.conf;
restarts sssd; reproduce problem; and try to analyse log files in /var/log/sssd
If you don't find root of problem please send sanitised log fail to the mailing
list.

LS