[SSSD-users] FW: 1.11.5 ddns failure on Ubuntu 14.04[SOLVED]

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 14:22:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 04:07:12PM +0200, steve wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 15:43 +0200, Jakub Hrozek wrote:

> > > Please open a bug against sssd.
> >
> > Please don't (yet).
> >

> > > For some reason the server name is being forcibly served top nsupdate
> > > and that shouldn't be the case, passing a "server" option should be only
> > > a fallback case.
> >
> > It is only a fallback, the way I read the code. I haven't seen the full
> > domain logs, so I can't tell if the sssd falls back to trying the server
> > or tries the server right away (which would be a bug).
> >

> > > Nsupdate should be let the ability to discover the correct server by
> > > querying the DNS and picking the available authoritative server.
> > >
> > > Feel free to quote the above ion the ticket. It is definitely a bug in
> > > sssd.
> >
> > No, it's not.
>
> But if we already know the answer for which DNS server to use, surely
> sssd should not override what has been set locally at /etc/resolv.conf
> should it? If you must pass the server name then choose the one which
> has already been given, not the one which you've found via SRVs.
> Just our €0,02
> Steve

You're describing something different than what Simo was describing.

So you're proposing that the 'server' directive is a server from
/etc/resolv.conf, not whatever server we are talking to?

If that's the case, then it wouldn't work. Quite often, the server in
resolv.conf would be just 127.0.0.1 and a local dnsmasq or similar would
be running on the client machine. Or the AD server could be resolved
with the help of /etc/hosts..