[SSSD-users] FW: 1.11.5 ddns failure on Ubuntu 14.04[SOLVED]

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 13:34:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 09:30 +0000, Longina Przybyszewska wrote:
> With correct domain ;)...
>
> >By default, we contact the server we establish the LDAP connection with. I’m sorry, I got a bit lost in the thread — what was >the difference between the right server and the wrong server in your setup.
>
> In our case,  DNS server is not LDAP - it is separate win DNS serer.
> There is also split DNS server resolving all in/out requests from intern clients.
> This one is known for resolver on all clients, but can't be used for dyndns updates.
>
> >In general, SSSD tries to do as little as possible and we try to let nsupdate do its job right..
>

> But sssd supplies data for update record for nsupdate, right?

Please open a bug against sssd.

For some reason the server name is being forcibly served top nsupdate
and that shouldn't be the case, passing a "server" option should be only
a fallback case.

Nsupdate should be let the ability to discover the correct server by
querying the DNS and picking the available authoritative server.

Feel free to quote the above ion the ticket. It is definitely a bug in
sssd.

Simo.

> ---this doesn't work---
> server nat-vdc0b.nat.domain.org
>  realm NAT.DOMAIN.ORG
> update delete skywalker. in A
> send
> update delete skywalker. in AAAA
> send
> update add skywalker. 3600 in A 10.80.8.91 send
> ----
>
> ---- works, after hokus-pokus with /etc/{hosts,hostname,dhclient}---
>
>  server nat-vdc0b.nat.domain.org
> realm NAT.DOMAIN.ORG
>  update delete skywalker.nat.domain.org in A
>  send
> update delete skywalker.nat.domain.org in AAAA
> send
> update add skywalker.nat.domain.org 3600 in A 10.80.8.91
>  send
> ----
>
> How SSSD resolves domainname for machine for supplying to nsupdate record?
> It could  be nice to be sure if 'dnsdomainname' returned   domainname, this one was used for 'nsupdate'.
> In my initial config the following commands returned correctly:
> hostname -s
> hostname -f
> dnsdomainname
> ...but the nsupdate record was wrong. It was confusing...
>
>  PTR dyndns still doesn’t work :
>
> ---- doesn’t work---
> server server nat-vdc0b.nat.domain.org
> realm NAT.DOMAIN.ORG
> update delete 91.8.80.10.in-addr.arpa. in PTR
> update add 91.8.80.10-in-addr.arpa. 3600 in PTR skywalker.nat.domain.org.
> send
> ---
>
> Servers nat-vdc0{a,b,c}  are  LDAP servers for nat.domain.org not DNS servers.
>
> Best
> Longina

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York