[SSSD-users] sssd basic questions - solved

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Jun 9 22:42:05 UTC 2014

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 06/09/2014 01:56 PM, Robert Zmijan wrote:
>> OK, I understand why it should not be able to read passwords. However,
>> under 'access to attrs=userPassword' in my slapd.conf if I comment out
>> the line 'by dn="userid=sssd,ou=People,dc=myhost,dc=net" read' the sssd
>> cannot establish a successful bind. In consequence I cannot login any
>> user in. What is the best way to allow sssd to read its own password but
>> not allow to access to others' passwords?
>>
>> Below my slapd.conf
>>
>> ---------------
>> access to dn="cn=subschema"
>>          by * read
>>
>> access to attrs=userPassword
>>          by dn="uid=root,ou=People,dc=myhost,dc=net" write
>>          by dn="userid=sssd,ou=People,dc=myhost,dc=net" read
>>          by self write
>>          by anonymous auth
>>          by * auth
>>
>> access to attrs=sshPublicKey
>>          by dn="uid=root,ou=People,dc=myhost,dc=net" write
>>          by self write
>>          by * read
>>
>> access to *
>>          by dn="cn=user1,ou=People,dc=myhost,dc=net" read
>>          by dn="uid=user3,ou=People,dc=myhost,dc=net" write
>>          by dn="uid=user2,ou=People,dc=myhost,dc=net" write
>>          by dn="uid=root,ou=People,dc=myhost,dc=net" write
>>          by dn="userid=sssd,ou=People,dc=myhost,dc=net" read
>>          by * search
>
> Can you bind with sssd user and its password via an LDAP search command with
> or without this setting?
> You should be able to because when you remove the line sssd would authenticate
> as itself and thus self rules would apply.
> If this is possible that means that your password is OK and the problem is in
> SSSD. If it failes this means that your password for SSSD user is not correct
> (may be it requires change).

Dealing with OpenLDAP ACLs is rather off-topic here.
But I feel it's appropriate to point to this FAQ entry:

Hint: Even sssd does not have to read its own password hash.

You can safely omit this line

by anonymous auth

because there's already this last line

by * auth

More details in the OpenLDAP Faq-O-Matic and slapd.access(5). Feel free to ask
OpenLDAP ACL questions on the openldap-technical mailing list.

And yes, try to test by simulating with ldapsearch like Dmitri suggested.

Ciao, Michael.