[SSSD-users] org structure as user/group structure?

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 08:06:12 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 04:36:10PM +0100, Max Lock wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
>  I'm querying an AD server using LDAP lookups only. I  can authenticate
>  a user just fine but the groups configured on the AD system aren't
>  relevant to what we're doing.
>
>  Looking at the the sssd-ldap man page, the ldap_group options look
>  like they may be used to modify the group lookups to look at user data
>  instead.
>
>  In each user record we have directReports: and manager: attributes.
>  Could these be used so that if Alice reports to Bob she's mapped to
>  the Bob group etc?

First I have to say that I agree with Dmitri. It would be better to get
proper groups here which are independent of the user entries. The risk
with your approach is that you introduce a prototype solution here that
later on has to be supported for ever.

Nevertheless it might be possible. You have to redefine a couple of
ldap_group_* attributes. E.g. I would suggest to set
ldap_group_object_class to the name of the object class which contains
the directReports attribute. The this attribute just holds user names
you have to set ldap_schema to rfc2307, if it contains DNs than
rfc2307bis is the right choice. If the manager attribute contains DNs
then you can set ldap_user_member_of to it to speed up group membership
lookups, but please do not use it if there are only names.

But even if is works, please make sure you have a good idea how to
migrate this to a proper solution.

bye,
Sumit