[SSSD-users] Merging local/ldap groups

Jacob Weber jacob at jacobweber.com
Fri Aug 8 17:45:09 UTC 2014

Is it possible to merge a group that's defined locally with one defined on an LDAP server?

I'm running a Subversion server. I need certain local users like apache to have write access to the repository files. But I also need my LDAP users to be able to write to them.

I was thinking of creating a local group in /etc/group, containing the local users. Then I'd create a group on the LDAP server with the same name and numeric ID, containing the LDAP users. The repository files would then be assigned to that group, so they're writable by both sets of users. Is that a bad idea?

Thanks,
Jacob