[SSSD-users] migrating from NIS to AD+kerberos

Longina Przybyszewska longina at sdu.dk
Thu Feb 14 15:01:55 UTC 2013

>> I understand that the approach with RID (real ID ??) mapping achieves
> >consistent name mapping across all types file servers – am I right?

>I'm not sure what you mean by "across all types of file servers" but the mapping should be consistent, yes.

We have diverse file servers  Oracle Sun 7000(zfs), Ubuntu server( in test NFS4+sssd ), SAN ;

 For example  Zfs  mapping algorithm (using window-sid) is not the same as client's with sssd-ad so,
 we do not get the same user on both ends.

If we would like to have common storage for all possible clients(linux, mac, win), to give user access to  the same files
simultaneously - we need to have  common and unique mapping between windows sid and unix uid/gid.

In my understanding we can achieve it only if Posix uid/gid are  built from windows sid.
Only then   from window client and linux client we get the same uid on the file server.

Maybe I am wrong - please, enlighten me.

Longina

See http://jhrozek.livejournal.com/2500.html for example.