[SSSD-users] Password expiration with public-key authentication

Iain Morgan Iain.Morgan at nasa.gov
Tue Nov 27 20:51:55 UTC 2012

Hello,

I recently began experimenting with sssd (1.8.0) and have run into an
issue with its support for password expiration. Specifically, the case
where sssd is configured to use LDAP and the user authenticates via SSH
public-key.

If a user connects via ssh to a host which is using sssd and
authenticates via a public-key, the only way to enforce password
expiration appears to be to set ldap_pwd_policy=shadow. However, sssd
will not attempt to change the password when the policy is thus set.

I know that there are those who would argue that password expiration
should not be enforced when public-key authentication is used, but that
is an organizational policy decision. The expectation for the environment
which I deal with is that password expiration should be enforced, and
work, regardless of the method used for authentication.

Is there some trick that I have overlooked or is this simply a design
limitation? If the shadow map were exposed, pam_unix.so could be used to
detect password expiration and pam_sss.so (with ldap_pwd_policy=none)
could be used to change the password, but that is not currently the
case.

Thanks,

--
Iain Morgan