[SSSD] I think #2637 is out of scope of 1.13

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Wed Sep 2 08:11:46 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 08:19:06PM +0200, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ssia...
>
> I was working on implementing https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/2637
> and while for most occurences it was quite easy to set domain status
> instead of back end status, I hit the sdap_id_op module..
>
> The sdap_id_op operation sets the offline status directly, in a bit of
> a hackish way by accessing the be_ctx through sdap_id_ctx. It's not
> trivial to change the request to operate on domains, except changing
> sdap_id_op_create() to also accept domain as a parameter..but we already
> have 37 calls to sdap_id_op_create().
>
> A better way would be to change the whole sdap_id_op request to return an
> error code and don't touch the backend status, but that's even more work
> -- we need to do that and it's something we need to do in the next weeks
> anyway, I just think it's not something that should land in 1.13..
>
> Thoughts? Should I go ahead and change sdap_id_op_create() to accept
> domain in 1.13 or do refactor the sdap_id_op for 1.14? I would
> personally prefer the latter..

I agree that sdap_id_op should not change the status on its own and that
it should be fixed with the refactoring planned for 1.14.

Nevertheless I wonder if you already have a patch which covers all the
other cases if it wouldn't be an improvement to the current state to add
it?

I would assume that most issue are caused by error during the DNS
lookup, initial connect or authentication which iirc are not handled by
sdap_id_op. I would assume that error during sdap_id_op, e.g. a server
shutdown, are more rare and it would be acceptable to let those errors
switch the whole backend to offline until the refactoring is done.

bye,
Sumit