[SSSD] Should we have a github r/o mirror for SSSD?

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 13:56:29 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 04:29:37PM +0300, Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
> On 06/15/2015 04:15 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> >On Mon, 2015-06-15 at 09:32 +0200, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> >>See this message on sssd-users:
> >>     https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/sssd-users/2015-June/003078.html
> >>
> >>For better or worse, many users expect a project (any project..) to be
> >>on github or else it doesn't exist. Should we have some kind of
> >>automated read-only repository on github.com with readme.md pointing to
> >>fedorapeople.org to avoid the confusion?
> >
> >+1
> >But then you need someone to monitor pull requests.
>
> We can have a GitHub API bot close pull requests automatically and politely.
> Or, as Lukas suggests, have a dummy repo with a message redirecting to
> fedorahosted.org instead.

(We had a parallel discussion on #sssd, so maybe I'm repeating myself or
rephrasing someone else in this e-mail)

What would be awesome would be if github pull request could translate
into git-send-email to the mailing list. We would still have the problem
of handling the other direction of communication (replying to the pull
request), but at least we would see what the patch is about..

> >Also can issues be disabled ? They are a terrible medium to report any
> >issue (completely unstructured with replies hard to follow) and we
> >should direct people to trac for real bug reporting.

Totally, we also have internal tools that link trac tickets with RH
bugzillas..

> Issues can be disabled completely.
>
> Nick
>
> P.S. To be honest, I find GitHub more contributor-friendly than
>      the fedorahosted.org site. At least for the casual contributor.

I don't think anyone is disputing that :-)