[SSSD] Code style -- for loop iterative variables initial declaration

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Sun Aug 30 19:31:38 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-08-28 at 09:03 +0200, Petr Cech wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to ask you what you think about the initialization of
> iterative variables in forloops. I know that present code style does not
> allow it. But how I recognized, we use C99, and this feature is here now.
>
> (example)
> Instead of:|
> # for(i =0;...)|||
> we could write:
> ||# for(inti =0;...)|
>
> I see an advantage in limiting the validity of such variables. That
> means higher code readability. Disadvantages I searched but did not find.

I think it is ok to accept this style when there is *only one* variable
involved and the iterator variable is useful exclusively within the for
loop. I used this style elsewhere and it was ok.

Much care need to be taken when *converting* code to this style, because
in many case the index is used after the for loop to check for
failure/success when the loop breaks in the middle.

Simo.

P.S: please do not use HTML emails, see how butchered your email comes
out in the txt version.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York