[SSSD] RFC: A template for design documents

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 14:22:59 UTC 2014

On 11/12/2014 05:02 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> I also took a look at the FreeIPA design pages:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Feature_template
> and they also include a section called "Test Plan". I personally don't
> think there is too much value in having a separate test plan and how to
> test, but I'm fine with discussing it if other developers feel
> differently.

These sections are for different audience. While "How to Test" page is to
explain how *users* should set up and play with the feature, "Test Plan" is a
section purely for QE to list the Test Cases. Not all features are expected to
have this section unless downstream QE requests it.

"Test Plan" may typically for example contain negative tests or input tests
while admins would not care much about this.

> What do you think about the template? Do you agree?

I like the template! I am just thinking, would it make sense to add "Feature
Management" section as in FreeIPA template? You can name it differently, but
the point is to document and highlight what are the configuration options
enabling or controlling the feature.

Martin