[SSSD] Removing uidNumberfrom SSSD Search Filter

Nathan Robbins nrobbins at olemiss.edu
Wed Nov 12 20:15:49 UTC 2014

Ideally, yes, we would have the uidNumber present and populated.
In our situation we don’t.  That could change in the future.

Basically, I was using pam_ldap and it worked for ssh logins, but would not work with samba.  I built the user account on the local machine, and set a random password.  When users logged in, the auth request was passed to pam_ldap and worked.  I didn’t have to worry about the uid/gid, because those were local.

I would like to try and accomplish a similar result with sssd, mainly in order to get it functioning with samba.  Is is possible for me to set it up such that i build the local user account just like above, and then use sssd *only* for authentication?