[SSSD] [RFC] Add basic support for CI test execution

Lukas Slebodnik lslebodn at redhat.com
Sat Jun 14 08:47:28 UTC 2014

On (14/06/14 10:59), Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
>Hi Lukas,
>
>I've removed most of the discussion since we agreed to seek compromise on
>dependencies and my answer below removes the need to discuss the rest.
>
>On 06/14/2014 01:21 AM, Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
>>>I don't want to complicate the current script further by inventing something
>>>else above two sets of tests. If using Epoxy works out, it would allow
>>>executing arbitrary tests and we'll be able to put mock there. For now I think
>>>building directly on the distro will be good enough. We don't have to
>>>implement everything at once.
>>I am not sure what is Epoxy. My google foo didn't help me. I do not see
>>benefit in script which cannot be easily extensible.
>>(or it can be but you have a reason to do not extend it).
>>Your script can be used in temporary version of CI and probably is.
>>If we want to have script in upstream I will prefer to have easily extensible
>>version. If Epoxy is the right approach I will rather wait for next version.
>
>I've referred to Epoxy from the commit message - it's a Bash test framework of
>mine, which I'd like to use in CI in the future. It doesn't matter what it is
>really for this discussion.
>
>In the heat of the argument I somehow lost the track of what's important and
>what's not, sorry. I was probably tired. I already have Clang running on every
>distro, taking 5 minutes and producing almost identical results everywhere, so
>it is silly to argue against adding mock which will probably take half that
>time.
It is not so big overhead. It took 2 minutes on my machine. What I want to
achieve is to test building of sssd in clean environment.
I can see two options:
    1) create clean VM for each test.
    2) test with mock.

Your idea was to use this script not only n CI machines, but also for
developers on local machines. Testing in mock is more suitable for developers
and has lower overhead.

You mentioned running clang on every distro. I do not see any benefit running
all set of test on all distributions. Static analysis should not depend on
platform specific details. The only diference can be in version of clang. Eac
platform can have differet version of clang and newer clang has usualy better
results.

I also do not see a benefit of running all test after each commit. Tests with
bigger overhead should be run per patchset.
    e.g. static analysis

LS