[SSSD] [DESIGN DISCUSSION] Configuring SSSD

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Fri Jun 13 14:05:53 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 11:34:02AM -0400, Dmitri Pal wrote:

> Last time I looked at Augeas (which was some time ago) it did not:
> - allow multiple key instances like this
>   key = val1
>   key = val2

It does now -- for single record, I get

	/files/etc/sssd/sssd.conf/target[1]/dns_discovery_domain = "domain.com"

for two records I get

	/files/etc/sssd/sssd.conf/target[1]/dns_discovery_domain[1] = "domain.com"
	/files/etc/sssd/sssd.conf/target[1]/dns_discovery_domain[2] = "xdomain.com"

>   and ability to iterate a section and access them.

Could you elaborate?

> - allow processing the config and handling the sections in different
> ways detecting collisions, erroring on them or merging them on the fly
> as one requests

I'd say this should not be part of any low level library. Knowledge
of semantics is required for that so if this is needed, it should be
a separate tool on top of either low level code.

> - merging two configs the way you want

This might be true but the question is, how often is this needed? You
typically have some existing sssd.conf state and you want to do some
modifications to it based on software you plan to enable or add to the
configuration. I'd guess you usually do not have seconf completely
working configuration, wanting to merge the two. If you have
conflicting values for single-valued key, generic tool will not help
to resolve the conflict.

> - support of BOMs - encodings at the beginning of the file
> - adding and or modifying comments

Using set #comment should work.

> - allowing to wrap values
> - processing lists of values in a convenient way

True.

--
Jan Pazdziora | adelton at #ipa*, #brno
Principal Software Engineer, Identity Management Engineering, Red Hat