[SSSD] RFC: Backporting the SBUS changes to 1.11

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Mon Jun 2 13:39:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 10:24:22AM +0200, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you might have noticed already, we're pushing 1.11 and its AD related
> improvements to older releases as well, including RHEL-6. These
> platforms are supposed to be /stable/.
>
> I've been thinking about how exactly should we backport all the sbus
> changes Stef and me did. While especially Stef's coding quality
> standards are pretty high and most of the new code is covered with unit
> tests, I'm still a bit nervous about changing such a low-level component
> in a stable release.
>
> So I was thinking about an alternative -- only import the new sbus code
> into the src/responders/ifp directory in 1.11. The protocol the
> processes use to talk to one another has not changed and this way, only
> the IFP responder would be affected by any bugs in the sbus changes.
>
> Comments?

Actually, only importing the new sbus code into the IFP subdirectory
turned out to be pretty messy, especially on the build system part.

Given that we have very good test coverage of the sbus now, I'm going to
backport the patches to 1.11 from master instead of having two different
sbus implementations for ifp and sssd.