[SSSD] sssd and rpc

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 08:01:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014, Yassir Elley wrote:
>It seems that the only network protocols used by SSSD are LDAP, KRB5,
>and DNS. On the other hand, Samba makes RPC calls all over the place
>(for authentication, etc).
>
>* Does sssd make any RPC calls (e.g. when interacting with a Domain
>Controller)?
Global catalog interaction needs some of those.

>* Does Microsoft require clients to use RPC calls to access certain DC
>functionality?
Depends on what functionality we are talking about. "Clients" may be a
vague term here. See below.,

>* If not, why does Samba use RPC calls rather than LDAP/KRB5?
Samba implements a lot more than a 'client' only.

Active Directory domain controllers use a combination of protocols to
ensure authenticity of certain operations. LDAP is exposed for general
use, Kerberos authentication is provided for general use. However,
operations relevant to domain controller to domain controller
communication, where a state of domain might change (trusted domain
added/removed, forest topology updated, users removed/added, certain
privileges assigned/removed/added) MS-RPC is used with authentication
based on SMB credentials (secure channel, for example).

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy