[SSSD] Using the Reviewed-by git tag

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 09:56:30 UTC 2014

On 02/09/2014 11:00 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as we discussed with the other developers earlier this week, we should
> start using Reviewed-by tag. As a benefit, we would easily see which
> developer understands the code apart from the author without having to
> resort to searching the mailing list.
>
> I tried using the tag when pushing Pavel's recent patch reviewed by
> Stephen, so you can see the result with:
> git log -1 fd520622529e26682eb8fa4c5355db18399c3121
>
> For the workflow, I followed the Samba guidelines pretty much
> completely:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/CodeReview
>
> Would this workflow work for everybody?
>
> Also, do we gain anything by using Signed-off-by as well? I think we
> wouldn't as the vast majority of patches are written by a single
> contributor, so adding Signed-off-by would be mostly busywork, but I'd
> like to hear other opinions.
>
> When we agree on the workflow, we should add it to:
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DevelTutorials

I think sign-off should be used only in case when a patch originally
created a lot of controversy and required reconciliation between the
patch developer and some opponent(s). In this case IMO the opponent
should sign-off on the final patch agreeing to the approach even though
it might not be a full review. This way later we will be able to see
"who did this" and "who let it happen". ;-)

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.