[SSSD] Data dir and cwrap tests

Nikolai Kondrashov Nikolai.Kondrashov at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 16:23:34 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

In order to run integration tests as non-root we would need to have all data
directories and files to reside in a user-writeable (temporary) directory.

However, it seems that various sssd data directory and file locations are
spread over the code as preprocessor macros, resulting in static strings. See
the output of this command executed in a build dir:

     find -type f -perm -111 -name '*.so*' -or -name 'lt-*' |
         xargs strings -f | grep var/lib/sss

Making this changeable at runtime doesn't seem to be practical. Replacing all
these in binaries after build somehow is not easy to do reliably. So, are we
left with forgoing the idea of running cwrap tests under "make check" and
relying on a special-prefix build in "contrib/ci/run", or could there be some
other ways?

It could be "fakechroot", but it is not in RHEL repos, it seems, and I'm not
sure how well it will work and how easy it will be to setup and maintain the
required directory tree and files.

Thank you.

Nick