[SSSD] Makefile split

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Sat Nov 16 14:38:18 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 13:06 +0100, Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
> ehlo,
>
> We have a very big Makefile.am
> bash$ wc -l Makefile.am
> 2152 Makefile.am
>
> And it will be much bigger, because there is initiative to improve code
> coverage with unit tests. I have an idea to split current big makefile to
> smaller ones. If we want to split Makefile it will have pros and cons.
>
> Backporting patches to older branches can cause more conflicts, so we should
> also split Makefile in 1.11 branch. Another problem can be patches on the list
> will not be able to apply. On the other hand, separated makefiles will be
> well-arranged and it will be easier to add specific targets to different
> makefiles.
>
> I decided to prepare some proof of concept. Attached patch moves test to
> separate Makefile in subdirectories with test. 546 lines were removed from
> main Makefile (size was decreased by 25%). Lot of things can be improved in
> patch, but main point of this mail is. Does it worth to split makefiles?

What is the disadvantage of a big Makefile.am ?
Why do you feel the need to break it up ?
I just want to understand what is the pain point to be able to judge if
the solution is good.

So far I never felt any issue with a large Makefile.am file, and it
guarantees that I do not miss things when doing some modification and
search for terms in the file.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York