[SSSD] SSSD with SSH and PAM Account Expired

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Wed May 8 12:28:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 11:27:18AM +0000, David Frost wrote:
> Hi, having configured SSSD on RHEL 6.4 to connect to our OpenLDAP server successfully, I can get a list of users and groups using the getent command but cannot ssh into the host or login via the console.
>
> The following error message is returned in /var/log/secure:
>
> May  8 12:18:26 rh-test-mg01 sshd[6660]: pam_sss(sshd:auth): authentication success; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=10.21.21.1 user=jimbob
> May  8 12:18:26 rh-test-mg01 sshd[6660]: pam_sss(sshd:account): Access denied for user jimbob: 6 (Permission denied)
> May  8 12:18:26 rh-test-mg01 sshd[6658]: error: PAM: User account has expired for jimbob from 10.21.21.1
>
> These are my ldap details:
>
> # extended LDIF
> #
> # LDAPv3
> # base <uid=jimbob,ou=people,dc=XXX,dc=com> with scope subtree
> # filter: (objectclass=*)
> # requesting: ALL
> #
>
> # jimbob, People, XXX.com
> dn: uid=jimbob,ou=People,dc=XXX,dc=com
> givenName: Jim
> sn: Bob
> uid: jimbob
> uidNumber: 1081
> homeDirectory: /home/jimbob
> loginShell: /bin/bash
> cn: Jim Bob
> gidNumber: 1398
> mail: jim.bob at XXX.com
> userPassword:: XXX
> objectClass: inetOrgPerson
> objectClass: posixAccount
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: ldapPublicKey
> objectClass: shadowAccount

Maybe some attributes of shadowAccount indicate that the account is
expired? They might not be visible for an anonymous bind.

> If I comment out the following line in /etc/pam.d/password-auth then I can login via ssh but still not the console.
>
> #account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_sss.so
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you mean by console the text terminal then it makes sense, because
the login program uses system-auth instead of password-auth in it's pam
configuration. Nevertheless I would recommend to modify the SSSD
configuration instead of the PAM configuration.

I assume that you have configured an access_provider in your sssd.conf,
see man sssd.conf for details. If you remove the access_provider entry
it should work for all services.

To find out about why SSSD thinks that the account is expired logs with
a high debug level are needed, but as said before I assume that the
shadow attributes might be the reason.

HTH

bye,
Sumit

P.S. Please consider to subscribe to sssd-devel so that you do not have
to wait until your email gets moderated.