[SSSD] Announcing SSSD 1.10.0 Beta 2

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Jun 17 15:13:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 07:58 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Mon 17 Jun 2013 07:54:58 AM EDT, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> >
> > Upstream considers the "definitive" build to be the one we use for
> > Fedora, since we're certain that it matches the Filesystem
> > Hierarchy Standard. SSSD will *never* work with just "./configure"
> > with no flags because we always need to be able to specify where
> > the nsswitch and PAM modules need to live because they're different
> > on different platforms, even different architectures of the same
> > OS. In Fedora, they need to be in /lib and /lib/security for i686
> > vs. /lib64 and/lib64/security on x86_64. There's no way to cleanly
> > autodetect this, so it must always be specified manually.
> >

> Thinking about this a little further, it might make sense to just
> default --with-nsslibdir to /lib and --with-pamlibdir to
> /lib/security. If I remember correctly, Debian always uses /lib for
> the primary arch. I'm not sure how OpenSUSE does it, but maybe Steve
> can enlighten me.

openSUSE is like Fedora. /lib and /lib/security. Ubuntu
uses /lib/i386-linux-gnu and /lib/i386-linux-gun/security. The latter
also has a nasty symlink
at /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ldb/modules/ldb/samba which needs to be
removed before sssd will fire up.

> I suspect that just defaulting to /lib would work for a
> reasonably-significant number of cases (especially given that the
> recommended way to build for Fedora is with either the contrib macros
> or 'make rpms').

I don't think there are many of us using the tarball betas as most will
wait for the rpm/deb fir their distro. We were keen to get involved for
the dynamic dns to a Samba4 AD.

sssd from source on anything other than Fedora is a nightmare. Most of
what we had to do by trial and error is documented here:
http://linuxcostablanca.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/sssd-build-on-opensuse.html

A big thanks for the sssd guys here for helping us to get this far. We
now have dynamic dns going against our AD. We've found beta2 bulletproof
so far. We aim to go into production with 1.10.0
Cheers