[SSSD] problem with AD nested group expansion, maybe?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Dec 4 15:42:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 15:13 +0100, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 09:24:58AM +0000, Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au wrote:
> > Tell you what: You get RHEL to include it and I'll push SUSE about SLES. I
> > mean 6.5 just came out and they did not increase the version by even a minor
> > step over 6.4!
>
> Version numbers mean nothing in the enterprise world. To be precise,
> what we have on RHEL6.5 is called sssd-1.9.2-129.el6 but in reality it's
> upstream 1.9.6, just with patches applied on top of 1.9.2 tarball
> instead of consuming the whole thing.
>
> The way I patch distribution packages is usually one bump of the release
> number (that's 129 now) per fix, one fix may contain multiple patches.
> So the 6.5 packages addressed 129 issues on top of 1.9.2

OK, so we can't use version numbers. But I can if I take the tarball
from the sssd site?

In an attempt to avoid version numbers, the fact remains that no distro
ships with the sssd which has a predictable ad backend. Something what I
call v1.10. With 1.11.x being the one to have. Not just for ad but
because it doesn't have all those niggly little problems like tose which
the OP describes.
<tongue in...>
Maybe you should slow down your development to match the snail pace of
that of sssd adoption by the distros. Or insist everyone switch to
Fedora.
</tongue in...>
Cheers,
Steve