[SSSD] [SSSD-users] RFC: dropping upstream support of RHEL5 starting with 1.10

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Tue Apr 30 09:03:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 09:37:54AM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 05:47:52PM +0100, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> >> many new features rely on library APIs and features that are only available
> >> in recent versions of SSSD dependencies. As a result, the code often needs
> >> #ifdefs and special branches in order to at least compile or run on RHEL5.
> >>
> >> So far we've been doing nightly builds also for RHEL5 and fixing issues
> >> as we were finding them. But recently we are considering dropping support
> >> for RHEL5 -- it is causing some engineering effort and at the same time
> >> the audience is probably very limited. If you are running super-stable
> >> enterprise distribution, chances are you are not all that interested in
> >> the latest and possibly very unstable SSSD version.
> >>
> >> The proposal would be to keep building and supporting the 1.9.x branch
> >> for RHEL5 and switch to using RHEL6 as the oldest supported release
> >> starting from the 1.10 upstream version. Of course we would still accept
> >> patches from any potential contributors.
> >>
> >> Any objections against the plan?
> >
> > I'm about to discontinue RHEL5 builds of master/1.10 unless there is
> > an objection.
> >
> > The recent changes in the 1.10/master branch make it harder and harder to
> > support such an old platform without substatial effort and I don't really
> > think there are many users of bleeding edge SSSD on a stable platform.
> >
> > If there are no objections I will shut down the RHEL5 nightly builds
> > of the master branch tomorrow.
>
> I understand that you want to get rid of the additional effort.
>
> Would you be still willing to accept a feature request for 1.9.x?
> I'd like to use LDAP SASL/EXTERNAL bind with SSL client certs.

This is currently planned for 1.11 upstream:
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/561

Although the shape of 1.11 and 1.12 might change in the nearest future.
When the ticket is implemented for master, we can consider backporting
it to 1.9.x, sure.

But it's definitely not going to make 1.10, if you need this support
sooner, patches would be mostly welcome. (Or contact your RH support
representative to escalete this RFE).

> > Our current nightly builder doesn't support building from different
> > branches for different "targets", so in order to build sssd-1-9
> > nightlies for RHEL5, I'd have to set up another repo. Is anyone
> > interested in running sssd-1-9 on RHEL5? If so, then I could set up a
> > new repo, probably on repos.fedorapeople.org or someplace similar.
>
> My customer is definitely stuck to still using RHEL5 for a while but we plan
> to use 1.9.5+ on that platform.
>
> Ciao, Mcihael.

OK, seems like there is a number of people interested in running 1.9.x
on RHEL5, so I'm going to set up a repo with 1.9.x nightlies on
repos.fedorapeople.org.

Thank you for the feedback.