[SSSD] debbuging, how to turn off cache [SOLVED]

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Fri Apr 19 19:04:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 08:12:39PM +0200, steve wrote:
> >>Hi. Brilliant. With ldap_referrals=False it works instantaneously. I
> >>can remove steve3 from staff and it is reflected immediately after
> >>logging in by id and getent group staff. Similarly for re-adding him
> >>to the group. Upon logging in, he appears immediately. Do we lose
> >>anything by using  ldap_referrals=False?
> >>Cheers,
> >>Steve
> >I'm glad it finally works for you!
> >
> >About needing the referrals - I'm not entirely sure about S4, but if it
> >behaves just like AD, then you don't lose any data unless you use
> >partial replication.
> Hi
> S4 is advertised as a 1 to 1 replacement for AD and I know the dev's
> strive hard for that. Our production setup has 2 DC's which
> replicate in the normal way. I've never heard of partial
> replication. Is it safe to assume that as I don't know what partial
> replication is, then we don't use it? A far as I know, the DC's
> supply identical LDAP attributes no matter which is queried.

Then you're fine, yes.

> >I'm still quite concerned about the crash you saw. Any chance you could
> >get us the backtrace? Even if sssd was not configured optimally, it
> >should never ever crash. (Then again, the problem might have been in
> >openldap as we use libldap's referral chasing). The backtrace would tell
> >us for sure.
> Yes, of course except I don't know how to do it. I once used gdb for
> the Samba guys when we had a crash. Is gdb what you mean to produce
> te backtrace? Could you give me a one liner as to what the syntax is
> to jog my memory? I'll dig out my notes and have a go.

You'd need to attach a gdb to the sssd_be process, turn on logging (gdb
would log to a file called gdb.txt by default I think) and resume the
execution of sssd_be:

# gdb program $(pidof sssd_be)
# (gdb) set logging on
# (gdb) continue

Then run the test case that was causing the crash. When the SSSD crashes,
you could also save the core file:
# (gdb) generate-core-file

Thank you for your help debugging this problem!