[SSSD] getent returns only single users

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Mon Apr 15 12:12:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:13:36PM +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the logs. I suspect that what happens is that the sssd_be
> >crashes or is restarted for some reason and after being respawned starts
> >another enumeration which is why you are seeing so many searches.
> >
> >As a matter of fact, there is a patch on the list to fix a potential
> >crash when enumerating. Which version are you running? Maybe you're
> >hitting that exact problem.
>
> enumerate = true is completely unusable on our setup, and sssd_be definitely
> appears to exit and restart.
>

>From past conversations I know that your environment is rather big, so I
suspect you are hitting either ldap_enumeration_search_timeout (the
actual ldapsearch takes more than 60 seconds) or then saving the results
takes so long that the monitor kills the back end.

> sssd-1.9.2-82.4.el6_4.x86_64
>
> That said, I'm fairly sure I'd never want to use enumerate = true

I agree, but the reality is that users turn on enumeration quite
frequently so longish-term (1.11 maybe, but probably 1.12) we should
improve the enumeration task to be able to handle even very large
directories.

Currently, as you see from your experience, it's not great when it comes
to handling large number of users and groups..